Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” – Isaiah 6:8 NIV
According to UNESCO, in the world today there are about 1 billion non-literate adults.
- This 1 billion is approximately 26 percent of the world’s adult population.
- Women make up two-thirds of all non-literates.
- 98 percent of all non-literates live in developing countries.
- In the least developed countries, the overall illiteracy rate is 49 percent.
- Africa as a continent has a literacy rate of less than 60 percent.
- In Sub-Saharan Africa since 1980, primary school enrollment has declined, going from 58 percent to 50 percent.
There is also a direct correlation between income and illiteracy.
- Per capita income in countries with a literacy rate less than 55 percent averages about $600
- Per capita income in countries with a literacy rate between 55 and 84 percent is $2,400
- Per capita income in countries with a literacy rate between 85 and 95 percent is $3,700
- Per capita income in countries with a literacy rate above 96 percent is $12,600
-info from “The Giving Store” website
Unfortunately, most of these stats don’t even take into consideration some of the disparities between published literacy rates and real life indicators.
I firmly believe that some of the world’s literacy problems has to do simply with access to affordable or free material. And that’s where I have been led to help. Providing access to well-written, faith-based literature accomplishes not just a missionary or evangelistic purpose but can serve as a catalyst to helping organizations “on the ground” build programs and provide affordable or free literature.
After some prayer, I began to think about the significance of the ministry component of my writing; in other words, how do I use my writing to be a blessing to those who may not be able to afford to buy them?
And so, this is what I’ve been given.
Beginning today, August 10, 2009 for every copy of my books that are purchased through my website/blog, one copy will be shipped to a developing English speaking country in Africa and the Caribbean. I’m calling this my “BUY ONE, SEND ONE” program and it is done in partnership with CLC Ministries, Int’l, an organization that has been on the forefront of Christian missions and bring literature into various developing countries for a very long time.
YOU BUY YOUR COPY OF “CJ” —> AND I WILL SEND ONE COPY OF “CJ” to countries like Sierra Leone and Jamaica
So…why not do your part to help? We are blessed to be a blessing!
P.S. – Any independent Christian authors out there interested in being involved in somethinglike this…please reach out to me at